Monday, September 10, 2012

New School Year, Same Old Walls



August 4th marked the beginning of a new school year for us in Jordan. I would say I am approximately 75% ready… too bad it has already begun so it doesn't matter how ready I am. I was beyond thrills and all smiles to see my kids and to meet the few new students. All my teachers thought that perhaps I had died, or so they said, or that I went back to America because the volunteer before me was only here one year and then left. Not this kid. They are going to have to force me out (okay Syria, don't get any ideas). The most common question was, "weren't you going to paint the walls…?" Yes, yes I was. I still want to very much so because the walls are hideous and make me depressed still. 

I believe I updated everyone, but I am still working on the PCPP grant to get money donated to fix the concrete cracks first, and then paint the walls with the students. Like I said before, I think it be a great way to teach the students a life skill, perhaps learn color mixing, working in groups, time management, motor planning, and most importantly, creativity! Once I have the (seemingly endless) grant completed, I will be on the move! 

In the meantime, I am making crafts with the students, working on making learning fun, using all the fun new gifts from various packages (NCA, mom, Mandy) including: watercolors, crayons, stickers, markers, beads, etc. If you were curious, wanted to send a package but didn’t know what, here is a list of most requested items: 
GLUE STICKS!!!!
 stickers
 glow stick jewelry (no, really)
 blow up balls
 that one game with the Velcro pads and the ball you throw back and forth (I want it for motor skills),  colored cardstock
 watercolor/pastels
 any fun craft thing you see for cheap and want to send because it could be an awesome learning craft for the students. 
Snacks for me (I'm a little selfish like that)
 sugar-free candy/gum (I like to use as reinforcement-mainly for my teachers/busdriver, who is diabetic…he needs a behavioral plan too).
I'm sure my mother has a running list of all the things I ask her for, if you need suggestions. 

Speaking of behavioral plans, we have a new student, Hashem, how has been diagnosed with Autism. He is 5 years old and my new best friend. The first day he came in, he was headbutting, hitting, kicking everyone and everything. I observed and helped a bit, but wanted to see what happened (teachers reactions, his behaviors, etc). Eventually I stepped in and helped isolate him away  from the students/ anything he could grab and throw. The teacher seemed to be watching me because she knew these are the students I used to work with. Thank goodness I actually seemed to be doing something right and he calmed down, only to deregulate again on and off all day. 

The second day I brought in my resistance bands and saw he was already screaming, crying, hitting when I walked into the room. I quickly squatted next to him and wrapped him in a band. With a bit of a squeeze off and on for a few minutes, he sat down and looked in awe. He calmed down and was able to sit with me for 30 minutes. A new student came in and he degregulated again, but the bands helped calm him. When I stopped, he came back over to me and wrapped it back around himself, looking at me expectantly. I thought, "YES! Progress". This has been continuing for the last two days. The teacher looks to me when he starts to get agitated and trusts me to work with him. 

Today she turned to another teacher who was trying to help before I went to the room this morning, and said it's okay now. Megan is here, she will know what to do for him. I can't wait for her to feel she has the same impact/confidence with the therapy tools. This is most useful I have felt my entire service. I don't need language with him, I just do what I learned during my practicum at NCA/ the Joshua Center and hope to God something goes well. Finally something they can see what I am good at, besides drawing flowers and houses for the students. I hope together we can work with him to make real progress and help him become successful in school. If I aid him in getting closer to that, I would consider my service a real success. 

Until then, here are some fun pictures I have taken so far this year using some of our new craft supplies:

Anoud painting with the new watercolors!

Watercolors! 

Watercolor creations

leaf pressing with watercolors

leaf watercolor pressing

"draw your family" I think that maybe his house is on fire. Normal? (This is my upstairs neighbor!)


Playing catch with our new ball


Hanadie working with the beanbags I made for working on grip strength

most used creation of mine! BINGO turned into matching game (baby and adult animals)

Working on bags

They should start a band/ also I made the Arabic Sign alphabet behind them

Showing off our bags. Behind us is a schedule (today, yesterday, tomorrow, weather) with the signs to match each day that I made

My secret favorites- The classroom for students with hearing impairments with their brand new bags
 

No comments:

Post a Comment