Monday, September 10, 2012

Getting lost, one city at a time



I know, I know…I am no good at this. To show I'm horribly sorry and I am going to try and be way more proactive, I am going to bombard you with posts and pictures as I wait for the dough for my apple dumplings to rise. I am finally adventuring outside of eggs, pancakes, and stews. I figured out (sort of) how to bake on my stovetop (no oven) so I have been at making bread items nonstop for the past week, which is doing nothing to help with my weightloss goals. As far as I know, they do not sell flour in my village and I won't be traveling to the American supermarket for awhile, so there is hope!
First I want to be that obnoxious person who talks all about vacation. Living and working in Jordan with little chances to be "American", meaning wearing t-shirts, talking to guy friends, or *gasp* enjoying a cold beer at times, I felt it was time to get out for a bit. I mean, It was about 9 months… I made up my mind, and my fellow volunteer (and closest friend) Judith and I chose Istanbul, Turkey and Tel Aviv/Jerusalem, Israel for our week vacation out of country. 

My neighbors have been begging me to go with them to Palestine/Israel since I got here. They have family that still live across the border and talk about it as if it were the most magnificent place. In fact, that is about the only topic my landlord and I discuss as his wife is making dinner or generally running around yelling at kids. I can tell by the tone in his voice that he misses it with his whole heart. You see, he moved here in 1948 when most of the Palestinians were forced out, and their land claimed. He affirmed that most of my village is made of Palestinians, a fact I hear about once a month from someone here. For this reason, and many others (mainly PC related), I could not tell them I was going to Israel. I was heartbroken. I longed to tell him that I ate the fish he told me about, I saw the beach he went to as a child, and felt the same warmth from the people that he brought to Jordan with him. I wanted to be able to show pictures and tell stories of my time in their homeland and knowing I still cannot share that piece of shared experience killed me. My neighbors believed I spent the entire week in Istanbul, and were sorely disappointed when I didn't have more pictures of ALL my Turkish adventures. 

Here I am getting ahead of myself.  Let's start in Istanbul, shall we? We arrived around 6am and quickly discovered that no place in the airport exchanged the Jordanian Dinar. Luckily for us, I was traveling with some US money that Mom forced me to bring to Jordan "just in case". Thanks Mom! We had enough to get on a train and head toward Sultanahmet, the area our hostel (and the tourist locations) was located. Once there, we found that most placed exchanged JDs, so Judith was back in the game! We went to our hostel, napped for a bit, then explored the HagiaSofia (pics below), the Blue Mosque, the fountain between them, the general tourist area full of souvenirs, food, foreigners, and hookah bars. I believe on day one we got lost a few times, always managing to be down an enormous and steep hill from where we needed to be. I worked off all the calories I ate, and then some during Istanbul! Day two and three ended up being very similar to Day 1. We took a boat tour around the Bosphorus Strait to see the islands and the bridges connecting Europe to Asia, we got lost again, ate tons of fresh fish, went to the Galata Tower, got lost again, ate ice cream, went to a craft show, and finally had to catch our flight.

It was strange being in a different country where Islam was still a predominant religion. I am used to the conservative outlook of Jordan and was jarred by the contrast in Istanbul. I don't really remember hearing the call to prayer often, even though we were next to a mosque, and many people chose not to fast for one reason or another. That is unheard of in Jordan. Everyone fasts, and if you aren't, you still say you are fasting. Aside from that, the integration of both European/Middle Eastern, as well as Christian/Islamic culture was beautiful. It was frustrating feeling as if I should understand people/ be able to speak Arabic, but I couldn't understand them, and they didn't know Arabic… disappointing! That being said, I am moving there immediately. I never wanted to leave, but was excited about what Israel had to offer. Pics of Turkey below:

The Hagia Sophia

 Inside Hagia Sophia

Me in Hagia Sophia

 Me in the courtyard of the Blue Mosque (Sultan Ahmet Mosque)

The fountain between the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque (I wanted to live in this fountain)
 

The. Best. Chicken. Shish. Ever.

 One of the Bosphorus Bridges

The Dolmabahce Palace on the Bosphorus Strait. AKA my future house.


The view from the top of the Galata Tower

 We got lost daily, but if you don't get lost, you never get to these little pieces of beauty, just off the beaten path.

We got into Tel Aviv and immediately got lost again. We got off the train too early, and got turned this way and that. Eventually we gave up and took a cab, which turned out to be incredibly expensive, as is everything in Tel Aviv. We didn't plan on spending much money though because our number one goal was to live on the beach. Judith grew up near the beach (she's from LA), and I have a thing where I need to be by or in the water at all times to feel whole, so it was a perfect pairing!

After putting our stuff at our hostel, we went out on the town! Well, sort of. It may be more accurate to say we went to a tapas place and then directly to the beach for nighttime beach appreciation. We walked around a boardwalk, saw amazing street art, and, you guessed it, overshot our turn and went about 30 minutes too far. We were lost again. Luckily not once did I feel afraid or threatened in Tel Aviv. We walked through Jaffa (old old old old city) at night and finally found our way back to the hostel. The next day was beach/ Jaffa/ killer sunburn day. We sat at the beach for a few hours, I lost my sunglasses to the ocean while wave jumping with children, and got incredibly sunburned. It turns out, when most of your skin hasn't seen the sun in 9 months, it is even more important to reapply sunscreen on a 15-20min basis. Silly me. 

 The beach! 
Jaffa

So sunburned! 

 The souk in Jaffa

We didn't have much time in Tel Aviv and had to grab our bus to Jerusalem. That evening we got into Jerusalem, got to the hostel and found out it was the biggest, most well-run, amazing, lovely, fun, spirited, monster of a hostel. They knew exactly what they were doing. It was perfect! I highly highly recommend Abraham Hostel in Jerusalem. They offered tours, theme nights, things to do in the city, etc. I was so happy! 

The next day we joined a free tour of the Old City to get our bearings on the city before wandering around ourselves. After wandering around for a bit, hearing the history, and stopping for photo ops, we ended up on the The Holy Church of the Sepulchre looking out over the Temple Mount and heard the most haunting call to prayer. It began with one man singing "God is Greater"…following quickly by two more mosques calling Muslims to prayer. A chorus of "God is Greater, there is no God but God…come to pray…God is Greatest". As this rang through the air, each word lingered in the air and I felt an infinite sadness. An overwhelming, crushing feeling of heartbreak. My heart broke for those who were forced to leave this place they called home. My heart broke for those who suffered while they stayed. My heart broke for the conflict. My heart broke for the families I live with, eat with, laugh with, and love. My heart broke. I began to cry with no ability to even attempt to control the tears. I felt so completely devastated. As the prayer continued and my mind focused solely on my landlords eyes and the way they lit up when talking about his home in Palestine, I had to walk away from the group and try to collect myself. I looked at Judith, with hope of getting a sympathetic smile and a hug, but I could see the tears coming from under her sunglasses. Her brow was furrowed much like mine in an attempt to understand what just happened. We never could describe that moment. I don't think there is a way to make it real for others. I know it hit me harder than it should have and I knew that I belonged to Jordan, my neighbors and their story. 

Inside the Holy Church of the Sepluchre

Inside the Holy Church of the Sepluchre
 One of the amazing pieces in the Holy Church of the Sepluchre




 At the Western Wall

Praying at the Western Wall

I was right about here when I heard that call to prayer


After that experience nothing else on vacation seemed to matter as much. We went through the motions of seeing the sites, taking pictures, and of course, getting lost. At least when we got lost this time it was in the Muslim quarter so we were able to speak with people and here music that was once anxiety-provoking, but was now the sounds of comfort… of home.

We made it back, a big thanks to Judith who had to exchange all her money in order to get me back across the border. Turns out I am not so good with budgets. I'll learn someday… maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment