Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Currently...

UPDATED WITH HOUSE PICS!

Well currently I'm sitting on a mattress (farsha) on the floor in a room adjacent to my kitchen listening to my water boil, eating pita/olive oil/ thyme mix sandwich, drinking sweet tea, trying to decide what movie to watch, but this post is not really about that.

Sorry the title was misleading.

I wanted to give you an up-to-date sequence of events from my village. So far I have:

*  acquired most things I need to survive (still no fridge). This includes buying cleaning soaps from
    giant barrels in the back of a truck.
* sat inside a giant tin tent (think of an old shack really) with a bonfire inside for at least an hour     
   daily. I permanently smell like day-old bonfire, which no one likes.
* successfully hand-washed my clothes and wrung them out.  I have new respect for the 
   pre-washer/dryer generations. No wonder great-grandparents have incredibly strong grips.
* walked through my village market twice a day to go to work without incident (besides the typical,   
  "What's your name" that we all love so much)
* Read an O.T. manual for 5 hours at work because there were no kids (we are on break), and it was 
   not a day the physical therapist works. It was the only book in English. 
*Said "yes" to numerous questions I did not understand. I wonder what life they think I lead now...
*Found out Sandook Bareed means P.O. Box and that I should probably have a number that goes  
  along with that in the address, but they didn't give me one. I promise you if you send the 
  package/letter to Megan in Kreimeh...with the various information I gave, it will get to me I am now 
  friends with the mail ladies.
* Participated in a basket weaving workshop at my center. I am now a pro at using banana paper and
   what I can only describe as prairie grass to make fun baskets. 

As you can see, not a lot is happening in my world right now. Hopefully it will pick up when the students come back. Miss you all and I hope exciting things are happening. Give me updates!

UPDATE: for those of you not on facebook, here are the pictures of my house-enjoy!

First, here is the tent/shack I mention in some posts (I think):
View from my front door-
 Inside the tent/shack/shed-

The kitchen- cozy
 my stove top set up
 My shower situation.
Turkish toilet-
  
the living room I never use because a)its right next to the landlady hang out spot, which means not the best for privacy and b)its weird big and not cozy. 

My resouce making, internet using, reading, writing, everything area.
My bed. I used to have an actual bed, but it was horrible so I sleep on a farsha on the floor.
 
 A quote that makes me feel better on horrible days.

1 comment:

  1. I am sending you a package! With your camera charger in it. I will be expecting MANY photos. I am sure time will fly once the kids get back. I am currently rearranging the furniture in pretty much all the rooms. It is 17 degrees here today. Why are you sitting in a metal tent? Are you sleeping any better? We have another group coming to camp that works with autistic kids. I am finalizing the camp schedule and staff this week. I like that pic of you. I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete